Koroška Region Council (further KRC) consists of all 12 municipalities’ mayors of Koroška statistic region. Its main task is reconciliation of interests of the region in field of:
- acceleration and development of regional politics;
- economy (mainly entrepreneurship, agriculture, small businesses and tourism);
- spatial planning and protection of the environment;
- education on all levels in the region;
- health, sport, social assistance and other activities in field of life and work, which are common to all municipalities in the region.
Beside that KRC also performs other tasks of common character from competences of local government and it also directs and forms common regional projects.
Mayors perform the function of the KRC chairperson. They pass the task on every year accordingly to the alphabetical order of the municipalities’ names. The chairperson accordingly to the authorisations leads and directs the work of KRC and represents it externally.
Organization and way of work of KRC are regulated with rules. KRC deals with region problems and makes decisions about matters from its competences at regular and corresponding meetings. They meet when need rises, but as a rule once a month. The mayor who is acting as chairperson of the KRC summons and presides over the meetings. A majority of votes of the members (absolute majority) reaches the decisions of the KRC.
RDA Koroška takes care of technical, professional and administrative support for KRC activities, including the managing of the archive.
Current formation of the Koroška Region Council
- Franc Šilak, župan Občine Mislinja, predsednik Sveta Koroške regije
- Marijana Cigala, županja Občine Dravograd
Romana Lesjak, županja Občine Črna na Koroškem
- Dušan Krebl, župan Občine Mežice
- Boris Kralj, župan Občine Muta
- Anton Kovše, župan Občine Podvelka
- dr. Matic Tasič, župan Občine Prevalje
- Alan Bukovnik, župan Občine Radlje ob Dravi
- mag. Tomaž Rožen, župan Občine Ravne na Koroškem
- Srečko Geč, župan Občine Ribnica na Pohorju
- Matjaž Zanoškar, župan Mestne občine Slovenj Gradec
- Franc-Franjo Golob, župan Občine Vuzenica
Chronology of activities of Koroška Region Council
Koroška Region Council started operating in 1997, after the mayors of municipalities of: Črna na Koroškem, Dravograd, Mežica, Mislinja, Muta, Slovenj Gradec, Podvelka, Prevalje, Radlje ob Dravi, Ravne na Koroškem, Ribnica na Pohorju and Vuzenica, who had a wish that municipalities in Drava, Meža and Mislinja valley would deepen and broaden their mutual cooperation and in that way enable easier solving of mutual development problems, signed a letter of intention, in which they determined “Koreoška Region” as responsible and natural whole for interest gathering and realization of common goals.
In these years collective operations have confirmed that “Koroška” justifies individual identity in regional development and that as a “region” will be capable to overtake the responsibility for individual execution of tasks of regional meaning.
Since the establishing the Koroška Region Council has been managed by: Franc Stakne (Municipality Črna), Rado Krpač (Municipality Dravograd), Janez
Praper (Municipality Mežica), Mirko Grešovnik (Municipality Mislinja), Ivan
Draušbaher (Municipality Muta), Anton Kovše (Municipality Podvelka), dr. Matic
Tasič (Municipality Prevalje), Alan Bukovnik (Municipality Radlje ob Dravi),
Maksimiljan Večko (Municipality Ravne na Koroškem), Marija Sgerm (Municipality Ribnica na Pohorju) in Matjaž Zanoškar (Municipality Slovenj Gradec).